Please don’t be offended when the administrative staff ask why you’re calling.
The admin staff are members of the practice team and it has been agreed they should ask patients ‘why they need to be seen’. Admin staff are trained to ask certain questions in order to ensure that you receive the most appropriate medical care from the most appropriate health professional at the most appropriate time.
The administrators are asked to collect brief information from patients to help:
– doctors prioritise house visits and phone calls
– ensure patients receive the appropriate level of care
– direct patients to see the nurse or other health professionals rather than a doctor where appropriate.
Admin staff, like all members of the team, are bound by confidentiality rules:
– Any information given by you is treated strictly confidentially.
– You can ask to speak to the receptionist in private, away from the reception desk (if you happen to be in surgery).
– However, if you feel your issue is very private and do not wish to say what this is, then this will also be respected.
Thank you for your cooperation.