PRACTICE WORK (Summer 2018)
We are working on our Emergency Department visit numbers. We consistently use the ED at a higher rate than other practices even with increased appointment and telephone access. We are using data to try and help us understand why this is happening and to try to encourage our population to utilise other services before using the ED such as your local pharmacy etc.
In May we had 96 people attend the ED. 39 were found to be for very minor ailments that could have been treat by a visit to your local pharmacy. This costing NHS in the region of £5000 for May ED visits alone.
From June we will be contacting those patient who are using the ED for minor ailments to educate regarding self help and using services in a more appropriate manner.
Sunderland Clinical Commissioning Group have a very informative “Look After Yourself” booklet which is a great starting point in a guide to self care.
Please help us to save NHS resources by choosing the right service for your illness.
CQC Inspection Outcome:
We are delighted to announce the practice has been awarded an overall rating of GOOD in all areas following our recent CQC inspection. A summary is given below:
Hylton Medical Group Good
Overall summary & rating
Updated 16 November 2017
Letter from the Chief Inspector of General Practice
We previously carried out an announced comprehensive inspection of Hylton Medical Group on 21 April 2015. The practice was judged to be inadequate and placed in special measures.
On 4 February 2016 we carried out an announced comprehensive inspection and found that improvements had been made. In recognition of the improvements made the practice was rated overall as requires improvement.
We carried out a further announced comprehensive inspection on 2 February 2017. The overall rating for the practice was inadequate and the practice was placed in special measures for another period of six months. The full comprehensive reports on the previous inspections can be found by selecting the ‘all reports’ link for Hylton Medical Group on our website at www.cqc.org.uk.
This inspection was undertaken following the period of special measures and was an announced comprehensive inspection on 28 September and 3 October 2017. Overall the practice is now rated as good.
Our key findings were as follows:
- The practice had made significant progress since the last inspection and had addressed all areas of concern.
- We found improvements in the overall governance arrangements, clinical governance, leadership and clinical effectiveness.
- Staff assessed patients’ needs and delivered care in line with current evidence based guidance.
- Staff understood and fulfilled their responsibilities to raise concerns, and to report incidents and near misses.
- Patients said they were treated with compassion, dignity and respect and they were involved in their care and decisions about their treatment.
- Information about services and how to complain was available and easy to understand.
- Patients said they were able to get an appointment with a GP when they needed one, with urgent appointments available the same day.
- The practice had good facilities and was well equipped to treat patients and meet their needs.
- There was a clear leadership structure in place and staff felt supported by management. The practice proactively sought feedback from staff and patients, which they acted on.
- Staff throughout the practice worked well together as a team.
The area where the provider should make improvements are:
- Take steps to record the distribution of pre-printed prescription form stock within the practice.
I am taking this service out of special measures. This recognises the significant improvements made to the quality of care provided by the service.
Professor Steve Field CBE FRCP FFPH FRCGP
Chief Inspector of General Practice
For Full report please click here.
Our Flu clinics are filling up!!!
Please contact us to book your appointment TODAY!!!
People who should have a flu jab
The injected flu vaccine is offered free of charge on the NHS to people who are at risk. This is to ensure they are protected against catching flu and developing serious complications.
You are eligible to receive a free flu jab if you:
- are 65 years of age or over
- are pregnant
- have certain medical conditions **
- are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
- receive a carer’s allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
Front-line health and social care workers are also eligible to receive the flu vaccine. It is your employer’s responsibility to arrange and pay for this vaccine.
Flu jab for people with medical conditions
The injected flu vaccine is offered free of charge on the NHS to anyone with a serious long-term health condition, including:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma (which requires an inhaled or tablet steroid treatment, or has led to hospital admission in the past), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease or multiple sclerosis (MS)
- problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medication such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
- being seriously overweight (BMI of 40 or above)
This list of conditions isn’t definitive. It’s always an issue of clinical judgement.
Flu vaccine for children
The flu vaccine is free on the NHS for:
- children over the age of six months with a long-term health condition
- children aged two and three on 31 August 2017 – that is, born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2015
- children in reception class and school years one, two, three and four
Children aged between six months and two years of age who are eligible for the flu vaccine should have the flu jab.
Children eligible for the flu vaccine aged between two and 17 will usually have the flu vaccine nasal spray.
Messaging App / Texting Service:
MJog Messenger is a free app for patients allowing quick and easy two-way communications with their Practice. The familiar user interface means patients will be able to use the app straight out of the box, providing patients with a convenient way to manage appointments, be alerted about services and receive reminders from their surgery. PIN authentication can be enabled to grant peace of mind for your patient.
- No cost for Patients to use the MJog Messenger App – it is free to download with no message costs.
- Simple to use app – MJog Messenger is self explanatory with clear details including links and buttons to complete app interactions – familiar and recognisable styling.
- More informative messages for Patients, compared to SMS, with styled text and images allowing for clear and branded Practice communications.
- Convenient communications – app provides a straightforward view of documents including pdfs and letters the practice sends via the app which is delivered to one device (accessible across multiple).
- Easy access – it’s a simple process to cancel appointments in ‘one click’.
- Informative, relevant and efficient communications received – letter, pictures, links etc. all contained in one message.
- Provides quick access to Google Maps, Facebook and other apps so patients can stay in touch with your Practice.
- Building greater online engagement with patients.
Please contact us for details regarding our new texting service.
Care Quality Commission inspection update:
We underwent re-inspection on 28th September 2017. We hope to have news of outcome for you all very soon.
Care Quality Commission inspection
The Care Quality Commission (CQC), the body that regulates healthcare providers in England, has recently started to inspect all GP practices, and has carried out a routine inspection of Hylton Medical Group.
The inspectors recognised that the practice is good at providing services that are responsive to people’s needs, and received a lot of positive feedback from patients, but they felt the practice did not meet its requirements in full, and have placed it in ‘special measures’ for a period of six months. These concerns are centred on systems and processes rather than patient care, and were raised at a time of significant change in our senior team.
Our priority is to provide high quality medical care for our community, and we have already started putting measures in place to meet the CQC’s requirements. In the meantime, the surgery remains open and you can continue to use the service as normal.
We would like to thank all our patients for their support. If you have any concerns or questions, please contact the practice manager, Kelly Hardy, on 0191 565 8598
HYLTON MEDICAL GROUP
Welcome to our new website which has been developed to provide the latest and useful information to the patients and visitors. We hope you find the website user friendly and it’s easy for you to locate the desired information.
Please take a look around and see how this new website can make things easier for you and let us know if you have any comments or suggestions via our online form.
Hylton Medical Group
We aim to deliver excellence in medical practice and patient care. Ensuring the clinical, professional and personal development of each team member, working with people we serve through good communication and patient education, whilst managing human, financial and structural resources efficiently and effectively.
We try to preserve the values of traditional general practice whilst making the most of the opportunities afforded by the present GP Contract and other developments in the Health Service and in particular;
To maintain a professional but patient-friendly, caring environment within the group and all its activities
To develop an integrated team approach to the delivery of patient care and services, also to encourage a similar approach to the decision-making process within the group
To provide a framework and culture that will ensure clinical, professional and personal development of both team and individual
To provide clinical services based on population needs, and are of the highest quality with local accessibility wherever possible
To be proactive in the delivery of health education, working in partnership with patients
To work in partnership with SCCG and DoH to support development and delivery of services which work towards the health improvement of the practice population
*** IMPORTANT PATIENT NOTICE ***
From Monday 1st August 2016 we are changing our prescription ordering number, please note our new number:
0795 451 9397
When texting your order, please remember to include:
• YOUR FULL NAME
• DATE OF BIRTH
• ITEMS YOU REQUIRE
If you request a new item please state where this was given and be aware that this may take longer than the usual 48 hours to process.
If you are requesting an item you have not had for over 3 month you may require a GP review before this is issued.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Medicines Optimisation Team
***MANDATORY TRAINING UPDATES***
PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR SURGERY AND ALL OTHER SURGERIES IN SUNDERLAND ARE CLOSED ONCE A MONTH ON A WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON FOR MANDATORY TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT OF STAFF
Please ring the surgery on 111 and you will be directed to the Out of Hours Services for medical emergencies and advice.
GP ONLINE SERVICES
How can I start using GP online services?
Follow the steps below to sign up for GP online services:
1. Tell your GP practice that you would like to start using their online services
2. A member of the practice will then ask you to fill in a short registration form
3. You will have to provide photo ID and proof of address. If you do not have any ID then either a member of staff will have to confirm your identity or you may have to answer questions about personal information in your GP record
4. Once you have signed up, you will receive a letter with your unique username and password and a link to where you can log in
Click on this LINK for more information